What steps should we take if an employee has an accident or gets hurt on the job?

Answer from Brody, PHR, SHRM-CP:

First, make certain that the employee receives any immediate medical care they need. Their health and safety should be the initial priority.

Once you’ve done that, then you can turn your attention to recording and reporting the injury. It is important to allow your employee to complete a workers’ compensation claim form, which can be obtained from your insurance provider. Most workers’ compensation policies require notice of an injury to be reported within 24 hours of the incident. If your organization is subject to OSHA’s recordkeeping requirements, then the injury should be recorded within seven days on the OSHA 300 Log and 301 Incident Report.

If the injury prevents the employee from working altogether or doing the essential functions of the job, you may need to determine whether other laws—such as the Family and Medical Leave Act or the Americans with Disabilities Act—come into play.

After the emergency response and reporting steps have been initiated, you can begin an investigation process to determine the cause of the incident and identify any corrective actions that would reduce the likelihood of future incidents.

You can learn more about these laws and regulations on the HR Support Center.

Brody has over 13 years experience in HR & Customer Service, supporting client companies within the small and medium size markets. He has a focus on identifying opportunities for growth and evolution within his client companies and strives to make his clients better HR practitioners. His past personal involvement with a small non-profit start up has created a special sense of devotion to supporting businesses that share a values based social responsibility. Brody holds dual HR certifications from the HR Certification Institute as well as the Society for Human Resource Management.

Vital Signs Insurance Services, Inc.
PO Box 6360
Folsom, CA 95630
Phone: (916) 496-8750
Email: [email protected]
Fax: (916) 496-8754

Legal Disclaimer: The HR Support Center is not engaged in the practice of law. The content in this article should not be construed as legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you have legal questions concerning your situation or the information you have obtained, you should consult with a licensed attorney. The HR Support Center cannot be held legally accountable for actions related to its receipt.